The Bobbi Brown Illuminating Face Base (P2,650) aka the reason I can go out without foundation is now a mainstay in my routine. It has SPF25 which is always useful during the day, but most importantly, it makes my skin look amazing. You'll see a photo later. For now, lemme run through what's awesome about this product!
What I love about it
- The micronized pearl pigments infused in this cream base gives skin the perfect glow. You'll see a bit of shimmer if you look reeeeallly closely but when worn, there's just a can't-put-your-finger on sheen to your skin. Don't worry, it's subtle that it won't make oily skin look oilier.
- Helps makeup glide on better as it smoothens skin. It also helps keep your makeup look fresh longer, although it won't block oil in my experience.
- Makes skin look smoother, healthier, and more even even though this provides no coverage at all.
- SPF25 gives enough sun protection for a few hours even if you use only a small amount. It doesn't feel heavy or greasy at all.
- A little goes a very long way. A dot on each cheek, forehead, and chin is enough to cover the whole face.
- Didn't break me out. I usually break out with SPF products - the reason I held off using this for a while - but surprisingly I didn't get any pimples from this one. It even makes my skin feel nicer afterwards.
Looks so unassuming until...
...you blend it! It will look white initially but just blend it quickly in circular motions and it will melt on your skin.
Worn with concealer and sheer loose powder.
What I don't like about it
- I wish it came in a squeeze tube or at least a pump bottle instead of a jar.
- Expensive but well, it's Bobbi Brown.
- It has SPF35 so it will leave a white cast. This is not the thing to wear if you plan to have your pictures taken.
The Bobbi Brown Illuminating Face Base is the product to go to if you want that glow-from-within skin without actually wearing much makeup. It's skincare, SPF product, and illuminator in one. It's the perfect thing to wear if you don't like or need foundation, but want a fresh, bright look to your face instantly without the heaviness.
I don't like to think of this particular product as a primer or a moisturizer. It helps makeup look better and go on easier, but it won't prevent oil as it comes. It also helps moisturize the skin a little, enough if you have oily skin, but for combination skin (like mine) and dry skin, you will need a separate moisturizer before you use this.
Try it if you're looking for a luxe illuminator. If you're saving though, of course there are more affordable alternatives but none quite like Bobbi Brown's.
Love this stuff! I'm a big fan of illuminating products as you know, and I'm telling you now, this one is a keeper! I like using the Face Base, then concealer and loose powder to achieve fresh dewy skin. Quick look, fools everyone. It's quite pricey at P2,650 for just 30ml, so I'm saving it for as long as I can. :P
Another way to use this is to mix it with liquid foundation for a brightening, sheer cover effect.
A similar product is the VMV Hypoallergenics Skintangible SPF30. Skintangible also illuminates, but it has a tiny bit of coverage since it's tinted. Bobbi Brown's Face base is ostensibly for illuminating though so it gives more of a radiant skin effect than Skintangible. The latter is stickier also (well it's not that sticky to begin with, Face Base is just the ultimate lightweight cream!).
Tried this yet? What's your favorite illuminator?
Follow Bobbi Brown Philippines on Facebook to catch their news and promos.