Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Color Balm
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books were some of the most memorable ones I read when I was younger. They made me laugh, made me appreciate the beauty of a good mystery, and to look at things sideways. More importantly, HHG taught me the importance of a good towel and to not panic when faced with impossible situations. Well, this is a reminder for me to read the five books again! You should too if you haven't yet. ;)
But why am I blabbering about HHG? I'm here to talk about the Clinique Chubby Stick (P960)! These are hydrating tinted lip balms that come in a twisty crayon-shaped tube. It's the first brand, I think, which came out with such a fun way to package lip balm. The Chubby Sticks are actually similar to Clinique's Almost Lipsticks - the main difference is of course the packaging, and then the color selection. But they feel practically the same.
Here's a quick rundown + lip swatches!
What I love about the product
- It feels thin and light (not waxy or sticky), yet it hydrates my lips for a good 2-3 hours. I don't get flaky lips when it fades away. I like how smooth my lips are even after it's all gone.
- It's deceptively sheer but it can be layered to get a more intense color. It's still not going to look like lipstick but it will show up even over pigmented lips. Oh and it doesn't settle on the rims or catch in flaky parts of the lips.
- Stays on after eating and drinking - it will fade, but you'll still feel the balm on your lips.
- The deeper colors leave a nice stain.
- Because of the shape of the bullet and product, it's easy to apply it anywhere - even without a mirror! It's hard to make a mistake with these.
- No smell, no taste.
Oversized Orange is a sheer orange with fine gold shimmer. Very pretty and summer-ready!
Curvy Candy is a sweet warm pink. Great for light to light medium-skin.
Plumped Up Pink is (I think) a limited edition shade that Clinique released to celebrate Estee Lauder's campaign against breast cancer. It's warm, deep sheer pink.
Fuller Fig is a dark reddish brown that surprisingly looks lovely when worn. It looks a lot like Clinique's famous Black Honey!
Richer Raisin is much darker than fuller fig, and closer to a brown-plum. Not a shade for my skintone, but I think really dark girls will find this as a nice MLBB.
PS - the color doesn't settle on the rims of the lips. The post-processing on the photo just sort of did that.
What I don't like about the product
- You would really need to work it in to get a nice thick layer of balm and color on your lips. It's best to warm it up first by melting the top layer on the back of your clean hand.
- Expensive for a tinted lip balm.
If you like cute tinted balms in luscious colors and a hydrating formula, I'm sure you'll love the Clinique Chubby Sticks. One or two is great to have as a daily lip product since it's so hassle-free to apply! Don't expect it to last more than three hours though as that seems to be the limitation of most lip balms - doesn't matter if high end or low end. But I think you'll like the softening and smoothening effect on the lips.
I highly recommend it if you don't mind the splurge, but of course there are more affordable alternatives. :) Most people would try for the Revlon Balm Stains but please note these are completely different products. Revlon is closer to a lipstick in terms of color pay-off - very opaque - and a stain in terms of lasting power. The Cinique Chubby Sticks are lip balms that offer to keep lips nicely moisturized and naturally colored.
But if you're a color freak, I have great news! Clinique will be coming out with the Chubby Stick Intense next year. :D It's already out abroad I believe but it will be available in our local counters mid-year. That's quite a wait but with these swatches, it looks super worth it!
Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Mightiest Maraschino. Swatch lifted from The Sunday Girl
Love it! It's a nice product to throw in my pocket or purse for causal days. I mean believe it or not, I don't fuss with makeup all the time. This is the perfect weekend lip color! I love to combine Oversized Orange and Curvy Pink for a cute coral pink shade. I also love Fuller Fig, which looks similar to Clinique's famous Black Honey Almost Lipstick.
Tata for now! Lemme know your fave tinted balms, and if you've tried the Chubby Sticks before!
Follow Clinique Philippines on Facebook to catch their promos and updates.