I mentioned before that Clinique has some of the best foundations out there, and with the brand's latest product called Clinique Superbalanced Powder Makeup (P2,400) I haven't changed my mind! The Superbalanced is a pressed mineral foundation that you can shave off to turn into loose powder. It has physical sunscreen at SPF15 with UVA/UVB protection, a shield that's good for a neat three hours.
Other than that technical stuff, this foundation delivers a beautiful, smooth finish that seems to look better as you wear it. I must admit I raised an eyebrow when I saw it on my face the first couple of minutes I applied it. it looked too powdery! After a while though it started melting on my skin and it looked absolutely amazing.
Case in point:
What I love about the product
- Looks beautiful when worn. I like how it makes my skin look glowy and natural without shimmer or shine. Coverage is light to medium so don't expect this to cover blemishes; use a separate concealer.
- Has the benefits of mineral powder (friendly to sensitive skin, doesn't clog pores or make you break out) combined with the convenience of a pressed compact.
- Has physical sunblock! It has SPF15 and protection against UVA/UVB rays.
- This has pretty good staying power. I've worn this in extreme humidity, from 11am to 7pm, and this stayed on with minimal fading. It helped a little with oil control; I still had to blot a couple of times though. Note that I have combination oily skin and not flat-out oily skin.
- The shaver mechanism provides just the right amount of product. I usually use two layers - one small turn for each layer. A little goes a long way!
- Compact comes with a brush and mirror so you can retouch whenever needed.
Comes with a sticker to ensure that the product is fresh
The well-milled goes on smoothly and evenly on skin
What I don't like about the product
- There are limited shades available. Medium 62, the shade I got, is a tad light on me. (I'm NC35, medium yellow skin). I'd say Medium is a perfect match for NC25-30. However, since the coverage is not opaque, I can make the shade work for me.
- The brush is okay for retouching, but I won't recommend it for applying the whole foundation. The hairs are a bit stiff and not as dense as I'd like. I prefer using a proper kabuki brush to buff the powder in.
- The Superbalanced costs P2,400, but consider this: there are 18 grams in the compact. The average foundation clocks in at 9-10 grams so it's like you're almost getting two foundations for the price.
Super closeup with no editing
I recommend the Clinique Superbalanced Powder Makeup to those who have sensitive skin and are looking for fuss-free mineral foundation with a beautiful finish and lasting power. It won't cover redness, acne, or blemishes completely though, so you may also consider this as a finishing powder on top of heavier foundation.
If you have the above-mentioned skin problems, I do think it'll help to let your skin breathe more often so don't wear heavy foundation unless necessary.
Last thing - if you have dry skin, this may look off on you as it tends to highlight flakiness. Use the Clinique Supermoisture instead!
I love it. Well, that's a bit predictable since you guys already know that I'm a fan of Clinique. :) This has been my go-to foundation since I got it a couple of weeks back and it has never failed me yet, especially in this crazy weather! Unlike normal mineral makeup, the Superbalanced Powder doesn't melt off with sweat or rainwater. Definitely a keeper. I do wish I got a perfect shade match, though.
Anyway, follow please Clinique Philippines for more updates! They will be coming out with their BB cream very, very soon. Clinique is available in Rustan's and Marionnaud.