I'm not an addict, baby that's a lie! Says K's Choice in their iconic song. I have dozens of tubes of lip products, but I still keep on buying a few here and there. I can't help it. I blame it on my curiosity! It doesn't help that most lip stuff are cheap and easily accessible, what with all the online resellers out there. NYX is one guilty pleasure of mine.
The NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream is one of the brand's newest lip color lines. It promises to be "nothing you've experienced before" - and I agree! It's certainly unique, defying the definition of what lipstick or gloss should be. I love the color payoff and how it feels on my lips, but I find that it dries in a rather unflattering way. Here's a quick run-down of the pros and cons!
What I love about the product
- Pigmented. One dip is enough to make the whole lip opaque with color.
- Dries quickly enough.
- Affordable at P350 (P400 with shipping)
- Nice matte finish, provided you moisturize carefully beforehand.
- Not sticky or waxy. It feels kind of powdery on your lips when it dries, as if your lips absorb the color.
- Good staying power. It leaves an even stain after eating and drinking.
- Smells like ice cream to me! Yum. But it's tasteless. No waxy or plasticky taste.
Worn with an Estee Lauder Pure Color Gloss on top
What I don't like about the product
- No good by itself. I suggest using a thin lip balm underneath, otherwise it will look weird on your lips! It peels and gets these cracks when it dries - not the most flattering thing. What I do is I apply a thin layer of balm on my lower lip, then I just pucker up to cover the upper lip. Then I kiss the back of my hand. Too much balm and this lip cream won't stick to your lips.
- Aside from the finish, this product is quite drying. I won't recommend this for those with already dry and chapped lips.
- The color has a tendency to bleed, so you have to wait for it to dry completely before moving your mouth around.
The NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream is for women who don't like either lipstick for the waxiness or gloss for its stickiness (hey Alex!). There is no need to be limited to lip tints at this day and age no. I prefer using this product with a gloss on top since it just looks loads better.
If you have dry, chapped lips though, you may want to stick to matte lipsticks instead.
In any case, you may want to check out the other shades in this range, they're gorgeous! Check out Digital Traincase, that's where I got mine.
This product is an interesting novelty, and it's good enough, but it's not something I would buy again. This particular shade that I have, Antwerp, is very similar to my Avon UMR lipstick in Island Glow (a favorite). The main difference is that I prefer the formula and satin finish of the UMR.
Antwerp on the left, Island Glow on the right
Swatch of Island Glow. Antwerp is more pink.