You guys, this is the cheapest powder foundation I've ever reviewed to date. I was seesawing between dedicating just one post to this or including it in a list of compacts, but I decided that it deserves its own spot in the sun. Seriously, when was the last time you used a 275-peso foundation that's actually good?
The Pixy UV Whitening Perfect Matte Two-Way Cake (P275 for the regular compact, P145 for the refill) is one of three Pixy foundation types available in the Philippines. As you may recall, Pixy is a newly arrived Japanese-Indonesian brand that prides itself with affordable cosmetics that is designed for everyday wear. Think flattering, demure colors and long-wearing products, at no more than 400 bucks!
I'll be honest with you. I thought I wouldn't like this foundation because it has a strong drugstore powder smell (you know what I mean!). I thought it would give me pimples or look off after just a couple of hours. My expectations were really low - I probably didn't have any, to start with. But the Perfect Matte is surprisingly pretty nice! It's no Shiseido or Lancome but it delivers in terms of coverage, finish, and staying power.
Let's do a quick rundown of the pros and cons!
What I like about this product
- It's mid to heavy coverage, with a smooth matte finish. It doesn't look powdery or cakey when brushed on! I use the sponge for retouching but for application, I use a dense powder/kabuki brush.
- I found a perfect shade match in Golden Beige. For your reference, I'm an NC35 (mid-toned yellow skin). I believe there are three shades available .
- Stays on well during the day, at around 5-7 hours of wear depending on how oily you are. I get shiny after three hours (as with most foundations) but it's easy enough to blot and retouch.
- I love the packaging! It doesn't feel like it's just P275 when you see it and hold it in person. It's not made of flimsy, throwaway plastic.
- No breakouts. I thought I would because it has a smell. Didn't happen. I use this regularly.
- Did I mention the price? The refill is crazy cheap at P145 and guess what, it comes in a nice mini-compact too.
What I don't like about the product
- The smell. Some girls like it - I asked - but I'm used to foundations that have little to no scent. The Perfect Matte has a strong powdery fragrance that bothers me a bit as I apply it. It does fade. But yeah, it's there.
- It has only SPF15. I'd appreciate a higher SPF but I can always apply sunscreen naman.
If you have dry to combi skin with a taste for champagne but budget for only beer, I think you'll like the Pixy UV Whitening Perfect Matte Two-Way Cake. It's a good, hardworking foundation that will give you a bang for your buck!
The catch is that it has that scent, but if you can live with it then this is for you.
Love everything about this foundation except for the smell. Obvs! I still keep it in rotation though because it has a winning finish + skin match for me. Oh, the coverage is also quite nice. Two layers and I won't even need concealer.
What do you think? Are you on the lookout for an affordable foundation, and if so, what are your bare requirements?
Pixy Cosmetics is available in select Watsons and SM Beauty stores