I've tried quite a few products to get the best contour, but the best, and I mean THE BEST contouring product for me so far is the Happy Skin Feeling Sculptacular Face Contour Kit (P1,199). Why? Let me put it this way. I used to only contour my face when there's a special occasion as the process used to be time-consuming (it involved a lot of blending). With the Happy Skin kit though, contouring has become a breeze! The results look totes natural in only a few minutes.
Here's a quick rundown on what makes this product special!
What I LOVE about the product
- The warm brown contour shade is perfect for my skintone! It's neutral, not too tan or too muddy.
- Pigmentation is ideal for contouring. It's lightly pigmented, but not so light that you have to do a lot of layers to make it show up. Two is enough for day-to-day. It looks super natural and diffuse when you're done!
- Staying power is pretty good at 5-6 hours. It fades, but I don't feel the need to retouch even after 8 hours.
What if a contour powder can actually slim down your face - for good? That's the amazing proposition of the Snoe Slim Shade Me Face Sculpting Cake (P799). It claims to literally contour your face over time, with ingredients like coffee (to firm and tighten skin) and Magnolia Bark Hot Water Extract (to supposedly prevent fat accumulation and creation).
Coffee or caffeine is a common ingredient in cosmetics nowadays, since it's an effective way to quickly tighten skin. It constricts blood vessels and slightly dehydrates the skin thus effectively de-puffing the area. Caffeine is especially useful in eye creams! As for Magnolia Bark extract, I am not so sure. If it were that simple, everyone would be bathing in the stuff. Why bother with dieting, amirite?
So yes, I would suspend belief about the permanent face slimming properties of any powder. :) That aside I do like the Snoe Slim Shade Me because the color is great for contouring, it's smooth, and it has a good staying power due to the amazonian clay in it.
I love my MAC blush in Harmony for contouring, but these days I am looking for something a little more softer for everyday. MAC Harmony is awesome but it can be difficult to work with if you're hurrying since it's quite pigmented - I end up spending longer blending out the edges.
That's why I wanted to get the NARS Laguna Bronzer. I went to the NARS store in Rustans to check it out but I hesitated because of the P1,750 price tag. I knew it was worth it since the two NARS products I own happen to be the best I have, but I don't know, I haven't mentally prepared myself to spend P1,750 that day! So I decided to sleep on it.
Good thing I saw this in a blog sale. I immediately snapped it up!
What I love about the product
- Smooth, fine-milled and pigmented, but it manages to melt on skin instead of just sitting on top looking like makeup
- Incredibly long lasting. It stays on all day with minimal fading (at least on my combination skin)
If, like me, you have a problem with your round face and chubby cheeks, contouring is your best bet to a slimmer face. Once you've got the technique down pat, I advise investing in a good, long-lasting powder that looks natural on your skin tone. I love the MAC blush in Harmony for that purpose.
I like using this by itself when I wear heavy, smoky eyes and pale lips or with loud lipstick when a pink blush is too much. It's handy to have around when colored cheeks ruin the statement look you're going for.
What I love about the product
- Harmony is a matte, tan-brown shade that looks natural on my light-medium skin tone. Unlike other bronzers or contouring powders, this doesn't have the dreadful orange undertone that looks harsh on the skin. Love it!