A crazy easy DIY: How to make your own eyebrow pomade and mascara
by Diane Salazar, contributor
A couple of products we previously never thought of DIY-ing are brow pomade and brow mascara. It looked like the process was so complex but it was pretty easy once we got around to tinkering with the idea! The materials needed are easily found in any makeup junkie's home. The best part is that the color is fully customizable, plus you can even choose to make two different products from just one batch.
It's important to note that the proportions vary according to the type of powder, wax, liquid, and oil you are using. Consistencies are not the same across the board so you'll need to add or lessen as needed. So! Are you excited to try this yet? Here's what you'll need!
- Brow powder or any matte brown eyeshadow. Choose a shade or mix several to match your hair color.
- Hair wax or gel. Make sure it sets completely to get the best wear-time out of your mixture.
- Makeup fixing spray. This will create a more liquid texture for ease of application. It will also keep your wax/gel base from drying out too quickly.
- Beauty oil. This is optional, but we thought of including it so you can condition your brows while wearing makeup at the same time! We recommend castor oil to promote the growth of lusher brows. If you have oily brows though you might want to skip this ingredient.
- Small spatula
- Mixing palette. This is optional, you can just as easily do the mixing in your jar.
- Clean cosmetics jar for mixing and storage
Step 1: Carefully scrape a small amount of powder using your spatula. Try not to dig out chunks as they will be lumpy when you try to crush them! It's easier to get a fine texture if you just slowly scrape off the powder per layer.
Step 2: Add a drop of wax, a drop of makeup fixing spray, and half a drop of oil (for conditioning, but you can skip the oil if you have oily brows) to your powder. Mix it with a spatula. This will create a brow mascara which can be applied with a brush or spoolie. If you want to make a brow pomade, add more powder to get a thicker, drier consistency.
Again, feel free to adjust the ratio of ingredients according to the products you're using.
Step 3. Store the mixture in an airtight container to keep it from drying out. You only need a small amount at a time so if you don't plan to use this regularly, it's best to make this in small batches to prevent wastage.
Is our DIY brow mascara and pomade better than store bought? It looks great if we do say so ourselves, haha. However, it takes a while (say 40 mins to an hour) to set so beware if you're very oily. But it's easy enough to do and costs practically nothing, so it's worth trying out if you've always wanted to see how you'd look with a browcara or eyebrow pomade.
We recommend using a brow powder or eyeshadow with good pigmentation if you want to be able to wear this on its own. Otherwise, it's a great way to make your brows look thicker and more lush after applying your favorite pencil or powder products. It also keeps every hair in place!
Have you tried using brow pomade and mascara before? Will you be trying out this DIY? What do you use to keep your eyebrows in place?