Swatches + Looks: The BYS Metals Eyeshadow Palette
BYS has been around the block for awhile now, but it's pretty low key online considering how successful it is. It's actually one of the top makeup brands in Watsons according to my retail friends! Hailing from Australia, BYS has an extensive collection of trendy products both for beginners and professional makeup artists alike. It's easy to take it for granted considering it's in over 200 drugstores locally, but you'll be surprised with gems you'll find in their counters, if you know what to look for.
Now if you’re already bored with your neutral eyeshadow choices, you might want to take a gander at the recently released BYS Metals Eyeshadow Palette (P1,119 in Watsons and SM Beauty Store). It contains 12 intensely pigmented metallic shades in trendy warm coppers and soulful cool hues. Let me do a quick rundown!
- What I love about it
- The eyeshadows are so pigmented that I don't even need to use primer to get them to full intensity. They almost have a creamy texture, which then glides smoothly on skin and delivers the color evenly. You will not see speckles of shimmer here.
- The pigments are well-milled and pressed. There is barely any fall-out even when I load up my brush all the way.
- The color selection is gorgeous! You've got six warm shades and six cool ones. I am digging the warm shades (Rose Gold, Bronze, and Copper) since they're quite in style right now! I also have always loved vintage-y looking colors like Rhodium, Palladium, and Brass.
- The finish is touted as metallic, but I appreciate that it's not crazy shiny. I can wear these shades during day-time, with the right matte transition shades.
- These crease only minimally with primer up to eight hours, and creases in three hours without primer. Not bad at all.
- This is a metallic palette, so don't expect mattes or transition shades. I don't mind! I have other neutral palettes and singles to help with that.
- The price at P1,119 is just okay. Not crazy cheap that it can be an impulse buy, but it's not so expensive considering you get 12 shades at 1 gram each. For reference, a MAC eyeshadow pan has 1.3 grams of product.
What can be improved about it
- The packaging is obviously inspired by Urban Decay. I would love to see BYS do their own original packaging design for their eyeshadows, because the quality of the colors can pull in a crowd. The actual packaging though can be improved as it doesn't close properly unless I align the tines in the case. The mirror has a bit of a concave curve too.
- The brushes included are not useful. Drugstore brands in general really should just not put in these things; they're a waste of plastic.
The BYS Metals Palette is ideal for advanced to pro-level makeup lovers as it has beautiful shades that can be used for everyday as well as editorial work. You do need another palette to support the colors, but I like that you get a set of 12 metallic shades in one place.
I'm an eyeshadow fiend so I expect to use all the shades included here but if you're not that adventurous, this might not be the one for you. It's really up to your preferences as always. ^_^
I would love to try the Berries palette next! I hear it's inspired by Modern Renaissance. Have you grabbed anything from BYS recently? Which eyeshadow palettes do you pick up the most?