When Shu Uemura claims something, I find that it rarely jokes around. If it says brightening, it's brightening! If it says that a product will make you look less yellow, you will look less yellow. That's what I discovered with the Shu Uemura Whitefficient UV Under Base Brightening Mousse (P2,150).
I have to admit that I was extremely hesitant to use this product at first. SPF products tend to break me out so I don't really experiment much. But since most Shu products have wowed me in the past, I thought, why the hell not this one? Good thing I did try it, because now this Shu Underbase is an indispensable part of my day makeup! I've been using it for a few weeks now so I can confidently say that. :P
Okay, down to business!
What I love about the product
- It brightens my face instantly, without the use of shimmer or shine. The Pink Purple shade mixes with my yellow skintone to provide a more enhanced color. Call it color correction, if you will.
- My face makeup looks smoother and more pigmented on top of this! It's a great foundation base in that sense.
- Makeup looks photogenic when used over it. Even with the SPF, there's no obvious white cast in flash photos.
- Keeps makeup together until the end of the day - meaning, no fading or caking even when you sweat or oil up. BUT don't expect any oil control.
- It has SPF30 PA++ so I get my much-need sun protection.
- Easy to blend and spread around due to the mousse texture. Just be careful not to use too much. I did that once and I looked decidedly purple. :P
This is an example of too much product! A tiny pump is good enough for the whole face. The size of the mousse should be something like bite-sized chocolate!
Here's an experiment. On the left is my face makeup without using the Shu Uemura UV Underbase. I'm wearing it on the right. See the difference? I'm using the exact same face makeup and took the photos at the same time of the day (afternoon)! The photo on the right shows a brighter complexion.
Wearing it here, again. I slightly brightened this photo but I didn't retouch anything.
What I don't like about the product
- The dispenser is so hard to control! I've been using it for a few weeks now but I haven't mastered it yet. I end up wasting too much product when I'm not careful.
- I got pimples the first few times I started using it. Once my skin got used to the product though, they stopped.
The Shu Uemura Whitefficient UV Under Base Brightening Mousse (whew long name) is a great foundation base that offers color correction, brightening, and sun protection in one bottle. Do note, however, that it's not a primer per se. It can extend the wear of your makeup, but it doesn't offer any oil control.
I think this would be perfect for girls with dry to combination skin. It is to be worn on top of your favorite moisturizer. :D
Love it! Obviously. The photos speak for themselves, but other than the cosmetic effect, I love the feel of the product on my skin and enjoy using the mousse texture. Definitely a keeper!
Tried a Shu Uemura UV Under Base already? How did it work for you?