Oil-based makeup removers are recommended for waterproof makeup, especially eyeliners and mascaras. The oil breaks down the product easier and faster than cream removers. I like the Muji Cleansing Oil, but I find that it doesn't do much against stubborn mascara which is why I opted for a more potent makeup remover: the Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover (P1,300)
I've heard a lot of good things about this product so I didn't hesitate to spend P1,300 for a bottle. I've been using it for the past three weeks, and this is my demonstration and verdict!
What I love about the product
- Takes off even the most stubborn waterproof mascara and other eye makeup easily (yes, even the Majolica Majorca Lash Expander mascara). I massage my lashes gently with my fingers to break down the product, then I wipe it off with a cotton pad.
- Important: doesn't sting my eyes or skin. It also doesn't make my eyes cloudy when it comes in contact, unlike other makeup removers!
From L-R: Revlon lip stain, MAC Fluidline eyeliner, Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Mascara, Majolica Majorca Automatic Eyeliners, Revlon lipstick in Siren, MAC eyeshadow over an eyeshadow base (TFSI)
- A little goes a very, very long way. I usually just use one cotton bud, dipping each end once for both eyes. The large 125 ml bottle is bound to last a seriously long time.
- Ophthalmologist tested and safe for contact lens users.
- It's pricey, but the P1,300 price tag is fair considering how little you're going to use over time.
One swipe with a cotton bud dipped in the product
Wiped away once with a cotton pad. You can see that the Majo eyeliners and lip stain are quite stubborn.
Massaged the product a bit
Voila! All gone. Except the lip stain, which has already been absorbed by my skin.
What I don't like about the product
- When you think you've taken off everything, you probably haven't. The oil mixes with the mascara and smudges all over your lower and upper lid. Make sure you've wiped everything off before washing your face.
- Doesn't come with a pump. I like the safety cap that prevents spillage when it's closed, but it's different when it's already open. I suggest you transfer the contents to a smaller bottle with a pump.
I only open the sample-size bottle for everyday use
I recommend the Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover to anyone who wears heavy duty makeup frequently (like me!). It makes the job of "taking the day off" less tedious and somehow more enjoyable. However, if you're a light makeup user, you can skip this since less potent makeup removers can probably do the job for you.
I love it. I use this every time I wear waterproof mascara that can't be taken out with warm water (hello Majolica Majorca and Color Collection Triple Effect mascaras). Now I use two different makeup removers - the Clinique Take the Day Off for eyes and lips and the awesome Pond's Gold Radiance Cleansing Mousse for face makeup. Winner routine siya, promise! Then I end the process with a facial wash for squeaky clean skin.
So...what's your favorite makeup remover and why? Share!