I've applied makeup on myself more times than I'd care to count. I've discovered a few shortcuts and tricks in the process because I have to streamline, to cut down the time it takes for me to put on all that junk on my face. Some of these I learned from other makeup mavens. So here are "secret" and not-so-secret shortcuts!
- On making the nose look more high-bridged: swipe a concealer across the bridge of your nose starting from between your temples to the tip. Use your forefinger. Make sure the concealer is just one shade lighter than your skintone (the usual). You don't have to use contouring powder and brushes to shape your nose!
- Speeding up concealer application: use your finger. Brushes sometimes deliver lighter coverage, less than what your concealer can actually do. Swipe your cream/ liquid concealer with your ring finger, then pat (not smear) all over to get heavier coverage and to blend completely.
- Fixing dull skin: there are serums and illuminzers you can use for instant brightening, but these are often expensive. A cheap n' quick way to brighten skin is to combine a fine, shimmery powder like the Ellana Super Sparkle Powder with your usual moisturizer. Don't overdo it or you'll look like a disco ball. Apply your foundation on top as usual.
- Brightening eyebags: Sleepless nights give birth to extra bad eyebags. If your usual concealer isn't doing its job in zapping your circles, help it by applying a fine, beige-yellow eyeshadow on your bags using a fluffy eyeshadow brush.
- Camouflaging dry, chapping lips: Instead of applying lipstick in a side-to-side motion, apply it in up-and-down strokes. It's a little awkward at first, but it works by going with the natural lines of your puckers, thus covering up the peeling parts instead of revealing them.
- Angry red pimples and puffy eyes: I love this trick. Place a teaspoon in the freezer for a few seconds, then apply the curved side of the spoon to your eyes and pimples. This will soothe the skin instantly. Then apply a light layer of concealer. Thick concealers will make these problems more obvious.
- Make your eyes pop: You don't really need eyeshadow to make your eyes look doll-like. They're just a nice extra! Eyeliner (black for the upper lid, white on the waterline) and mascara can do wonders for the windows to your soul.
That's all I have for now. How about you, what are your makeup shortcuts and tricks? :D Do share!